Monday, March 3, 2008

Genes are tricky things!

No one could have ever told me that I would ever have a daughter who looks like this:


She's beautiful, I know, but look at me and my husband:



When the nurse first handed her to me, all I could think was "What the #*&%!" I never could have imagined I would ever have a daughter with light skin and blue eyes. Why would I? I am a Black woman married to a Black man. I would have expected my daughter to look like a mix between us. But she doesn't. People ask me constantly is she "mixed". They want to know when I'm out with her if my husband is a white man. Hell, even the nurse at the hospital had to double check and make sure she had given me the right baby. She told me, "Your baby looks white." They also assume my children have different fathers. I want to yell at them and say, "Hey, Black people come in all different shades!" It gets kind of annoying.

But in all honestly, I don't blame people who assuming comments. I mean, prior to having he I would have thought the same thing. But, that just goes to show you genes are tricky things!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Genes are strange, eh? You're little one is so pretty. Lucky you.

Unknown said...

Isn't that the weirdest thing? I knew a family with a white mother and a black father and their kids were all different colors. They ranged from white to really dark. Genes are tricky. Beautiful baby. You are a lucky mama.

TanishaRenee said...

Genes are tricky like that- it's not all about mommy and daddy- sometimes that recessive gene pops in there and surprises you. She is a super cutie with that big smile! I knew a black family where the 3 daughters all came out brown-skinned with this gorgeous red hair and freckles! All of the girls looked alike, but neither of them looked like their parents.